Frequently Asked Questions
Answer:Currently there are no set discounts for our CPR/AED or 1st Aid training. We do however, offer special, discounted rates for larger groups or organizations that use us exclusively for their CPR/AED and 1st Aid needs. Please contact our staff to find out if you qualify!
Answer:A $20 discount is available for the following:
- Current/Retired Military
- Current Firefighter, EMT, Nurse, Doctor, Police Officer
Currently we do not allow multiple discounts to stack.
Answer:Our address is: 8139 Portage Rd. Portage, MI 49002
We are very easy to find! Located just 3.5 miles south of I-94 on Portage Rd 1/4 mile south of Centre Ave. AZO Civil Services/Kalamazoo Combatives shares a building with Tactical Advantage Guns, a licensed FFL dealer which sells firearms, accessories, ammunition, 1st aid items, and more.
Answer: We provide most materials that you will need for any of our classes and always have water and coffee available, however there are a few things you might need to bring so check if you are unsure. These could include:
- Ammunition, eye & ear protection for firearms courses
- Paper, should you want to take notes
- Driver License / Sate ID Card
- Proof of Employment for discount (If available)
Answer: It’s simple! At AZO Civil Services/Kalamazoo Combatives you are trained by top instructors that have a desire to see you succeed and go out into the world with the life-saving skills that we teach. Whether you are taking a firearms course, CPR course, or a self-defense course you will have an instructor who will ensure your questions are answered to the fullest extent possible. To us you are family, and we will share all of the knowledge and experience possible.
As for where the name came from, AZO (pronounced Eh ZEE OH), is taken from the abbreviation for Kalamazoo, combined with the fact that we consider everything we do a service for the public. We hope you’ll agree! In 2020, we changed the name of our defensive training side of the business to Kalamazoo Combatives. We hope this name better reflects what we teach and what we are preparing you for, combat, should the day come that you must defend yourself or a loved one.
Answer:1. Simply put, we are the best! Now I know you may think that sounds quite arrogant, but we are, and that is because WE CARE ABOUT YOU! You are NOT just a number here. Some other places and instructors care more about how many students they can pack into the class instead of caring about the total experience and keeping small Student:Instructor ratios. We strive to make you feel a part of the AZO/Kalamazoo Combatives Family! We want you to leave knowing it was worth your time and money and knowing you can come back to us any time with any question you may have.
2. We are PROFESSIONAL! We hire only the highest qualified instructors who must maintain our high-standards of training and ethics. We use a professional classroom. We use a professionally maintained and SAFE outdoor range facility. It’s safe, clean, & fun. We also have a professional staff working in our store. No matter if you are there for guns, ammo, accessories, or survival gear, we will have it in stock (or order it for you!) Just tell us what you are looking for and we can get it if it’s not already in stock!
3. We include a quality lunch. Most other places leave lunch up to you which delays the class and costs you extra time and money. We have partnered with local restaurants to provide food for our Concealed Handgun courses.
So in summary, we at Kalamazoo Combatives are among the most qualified and have the highest level professional instructors around. You will see our quality of instruction and professionalism from the moment you step foot into our classroom, and that will continue throughout the entire day until you leave the range! Give us a chance, call us, or schedule your class online today!